Tuesday 8 May 2012

Creative what......



cc licensed ( BY NC SD ) flickr photo shared by Carlfish

Creative Commons is something that I believe every 21st century teacher should be aware of and fluent within, yet when you mention it to teachers, I am sure that you will get a number of blank stares.  Our learners come from a generation of content consumption – things are at their fingertips and they want it here and now.  The ability to consume information and ‘sell it off’ as your own is prevalent within 21st century learners.  Creative Commons is something that continuously baffles me and that I am attempting to get my head around. 

So today I decided that it is time…..it is time for me to truly commit to the process of understanding Creative Commons.  Within my bookmarks, I have numerous items saved about Creative Commons and my kids are going to be exploring the implications / notions throughout the rest of the term.  There are some outstanding resources out there. We are also going to have a webconfernce with one of my favourite thinkers Rod Lucier.  Hopefully he can inspire and motivate the kids to become active and responsible digital citizens. 

Is it just me or do we all think that this is an important skill for teachers and students to understand in 2012?



1 comment:

  1. Great way to look at digital citizenship issues too - nice thinking mate!

    ReplyDelete