Tuesday 8 November 2011

Some of the awesome stuff that my kids are doing

As we once again wind down to the end of another strenuous and sometimes tedious school year and I realized that this blog has gone away from my sharing of pedagogy mantra to more the 'Philosophy of Education According To Ashley' theme.  Whilst it has been fun undertaking blog posts in this way, I think that I am going to get back to having the right mixture and dedicate more time to sharing what my kids are doing and why they are doing it.

I have been lucky enough to work with the fantastic Megan Stace this semester and she had an awesome idea that I shared with you in a previous blog post.  In a nutshell, kids had to use cardboard to create a chair that needs to hold a weight of 60kg for a substantial period of time.  The trick is that the chair must not be joined by any adhesive items (eg glue, sticky tape) and the aesthetics will be assessed as well.  As a part of the design process, we threw it over to the kids.  We explained what we wanted to see and left it up to them on how they wanted to show it to us.  It has been an interesting experiment.  My class is 1-1 whilst the class next door isn't. A number of them have used Jellycam to create a stop motion animation of their design process.  I will attempt to get parent permission to share the videos that the kids have created.

They have really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment