Wednesday 24 July 2013

Writing Book Reviews For Wikipedia...


cc licensed ( BY SA ) flickr photo shared by Konrad Summers

I have a confession to make - I am a Star Trek junkie.  I love reading the books from The Next Generation, Deep Space 9 and Voyager.  I am not a huge fan of the original series but don't mind the movies.  Many a year ago, my parents used to run a chicken shop called 'Chick-n-Video'.  It had a chicken shop on one side and a video shop on the other side.  We owned the chicken side of the shop but were always allowed to take whatever videos that we wanted at any time.  My brother discovered The Next Generation videos and it went from there.  We later found that they had books and I became totally obsessed with it from there.

The other night, I was reading one of my favourite Star Trek novels and was wondering where it fit in the series.  So what did I do? I pulled out my phone and web searched.  The first link that it went to was Wikipedia.  As I was reading this review, I started to think about how this knowledge came about.  Of course I know that somebody created that entry who was obviously passionate about the book.  It was basically a review of the book.  

Then suddenly a light bulb went off in my head - why couldn't my kids who always have to do literature reviews share these reviews on the greatest online community of all time: Wikipedia.  Whilst I wouldn't encourage them to create their own Wikipedia accounts, I would love to share them with the world through my personal account.  

No comments:

Post a Comment